Sunday, April 17, 2011

Marques de Caceres Rioja Blanco '09

When you think of Rioja you think red, right? I know I do. They are truly great wines and for me, they are what great Spanish wine is all about. But, the whites from this renowned region of Spain are also great and they are truly underrated. The delicious entry level white from Marques de Caceres is a great example. Made from 100% Viura, the indigenous white grape of Rioja, the Caceres featured a trove of tropical fruit scents, pineapple and a slight lemony quality in the mouth along with good acidity - giving it a crisp, fresh feel. Medium bodied and delicate, it went great with some pan-seared cod with pesto and set me back a miserly $8.99. Imported by Vineyard Brands, this excellent value should be available almost anywhere. Eric Asimov of the NY Times and one of my favorite wine writers posted a fantastic feature on white Riojas back in '05. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment