Thursday, January 19, 2012

Laborum Torrontes 2010

   Okay it's official. I am a huge fan of Argentinian Torrontes. So much for my old world bias. These new world white wines have everything I love. Big aromatics, complex flavors and vibrant acidity. I've already written up the Crios Torrontes and tonight we tried one from VOS import Bodegas El Porvenir. These grapes are grown at the almost impossible sounding altitude of 5700 ft. and produced just 2000 cases. They remind me so much of Alsatian Gewurztraminer yet they are lighter and more vibrant. This wine has big aromas of white flowers (Gardenia?), white peach, citrus elements and tarragon. It's mouth-filling flavors echo the peach, along with apricot, grapefruit and stony elements. It finishes long with a note of saline. It's also got wonderful, tangy acidity that make these wines great partners for spicy Asian food. We enjoyed the Laborum with a spicy, Thai-style fish soup that my wife cooked up. It's a shame that wines like this don't get more consideration from consumers. It cost me $15.99 and while that may be more than you might want to spend on a Tuesday night, if it's a Friday night you should definitely try this awesome wine out. Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment